New grant to support Macomb County Small Businesses
As a small business owner with a clothing storefront in Warren, newly elected county commissioner, Mai Xiong understands firsthand the economic impact COVID-19 has had on our businesses and is committed to helping other small business owners by connecting them to the resources they need to recover, rebuild and reopen safely. Prior to the online grant application being open on Tuesday, January 19, Xiong will be meeting with local businesses in the Warren and Center Line area to ensure that they are aware of the new funding.
The State of Michigan has allocated $4.1 million to Macomb County to assist small businesses in the county. In an effort to continue to support small businesses, the Michigan Small Business Survival Grant Program will provide funding to eligible small businesses disproportionately impacted by COVID-19.
While the state is allowing businesses to apply for up to $15,000 or $20,000, the actual final amount will be determined based on the number of applications received and demonstrated need.
The application period will open at 9 a.m. EST on Tuesday, January 19, 2021 and will close at Noon EST on Friday, January 22, 2021
If you have any questions regarding the application, please contact the MEDC Service Center at (888) 522-0103 (select menu option 1). Hours are 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. Monday – Friday and closed for lunch Noon – 1 p.m. During lunch hours, callers may leave a voicemail.
Business Eligibility Requirements
An eligible business is a for-profit business or nonprofit business that meets the following criteria:
- Had 1-100 employees (including full-time, part-time and owner-employees) on a world-wide basis on November 17, 2020.
- Is in an industry that demonstrates it is affected by the Order.
- Needs working capital to support payroll expenses, rent, mortgage payments, utility expenses or other similar expenses.
- Demonstrates an income loss as a result of the Order as determined by the EDO in which an eligible business is located.
- Is not a live music and entertainment venue that is eligible for funds under PA 257 of 2020 Section 401.
Learn more about the statewide grant initiative at https://www.michiganbusiness.org/survival
Starting on January 19, Macomb County small businesses can use this web address to apply for the grant: https://business.macombgov.org/business-Macomb-County-Survival-Grants